As cyberattacks are on the rise, it’s more important than ever to maintain account security. Password security alone has often failed to sufficiently protect different user accounts, as best password practices are often overlooked or not implemented. For example, over 17% of people use the same password across multiple accounts and 38.6% write their passwords down on paper.
Two-factor authentication is a solution to further protect accounts from being hacked by cyber criminals, as they require independent elements in order for an account to be accessed. Over 80% of data breaches occur due to stolen or weak passwords, and two-factor authentication is a simple tool to stop these breaches from ever happening in the first place and is easy to adopt. Over 90% of Microsoft employees are able to access the needed network they use without having to depend on a password, setting the gold standard for adoption and implementation.
We’ll discuss what two-factor authentication is and how it can be utilized to protect your passwords and accounts from being compromised.
What is Two-Factor Authentication?
Two-factor authentication is a security measure that requires two different processes for access to an account. This can be something you know (like a password or code) and something you have (like a physical key or a separate device).
This measure is often implemented as an additional safeguard to protect passwords and user accounts from being hacked by cyber criminals. By requiring two separate elements, it becomes much more difficult for hackers to gain access to an account as they would need both the password and the physical key or device.
How to Use Two-Factor Authentication
There are a few different ways that you can utilize two-factor authentication to protect your accounts. The most common method is to use a code generator, which is a device that produces a unique code that is needed in addition to your password to login.
Code generators are typically apps that are on your phone or device that you can download and use for authenticating your account. Other methods include using a physical key, such as a USB drive or an NFC-enabled device, or utilizing biometrics, such as fingerprints or iris scanning.
Which Two-Factor Authentication App is the Best?
There are a variety of different two-factor authentication apps available, so it can be difficult to decide which one is the best for you. Some of the most popular apps include Duo, Authy, Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, and LastPass Authenticator.
Each app has its own unique features and benefits, so it’s important to choose one that has the best features for you and best meets your needs:
- Duo – SinglePoint Global’s recommended choice, Duo 2FA only requires the user have access to the app on their device. You can choose the authentication option that works best for you through the app—like a Duo push or biometric authentication—to easily access your accounts. Duo is user-friendly, customizable, and highly effective.
- Authy – Some of the key features of Authy include the ability to sync your account across multiple devices and its user-friendly interface. It also offers support for backup if your device is lost.
- Google Authenticator – Google Authenticator is a popular choice as it integrates well with other Google products and services. It also features the ability to sync your account across multiple devices, so you can easily access your account from any device.
- Microsoft Authenticator – Like Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator allows integration with other Microsoft products and services. It securely saves addresses, passwords, and payment information.
- LastPass Authenticator – This application includes a secure password generator to create strong passwords for your accounts and allows the ability to store and manage your passwords and account information in one place. You also have support for backup if your device is lost or stolen.
These are just some of the many two-factor authentication apps available, so it’s important to research different options that you find to make sure that you’re getting an app that meets your organization’s needs.
Protect Your Network and Systems with SinglePoint Global
Maintaining system security is essential for protecting your data and stopping unauthorized access to your systems. Two-factor authentication can help you do this by requiring two separate elements for access, making it more difficult for hackers to gain entry to your systems.
By using an IT support service, you can further ensure that your accounts are safe and secure. Contact SinglePoint Global today to assess and improve your cybersecurity infrastructure.BACK TO MAIN PAGE